World leaders, celebs who attended Qatar World Cup’s opening ceremony
Arab leaders dominated the list of world leaders who attended the 2022 FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Qatar on Sunday.
Qatar’s Emir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, welcomed the world to soccer’s biggest event, the first time it has been staged in the Middle East.
“From Qatar, from the Arab world, I welcome everyone to the World Cup 2022,” Sheikh Tamim said. “How lovely it is that people can put aside what divides them to celebrate their diversity and what brings them together.”
Qatar’s Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani (Photo credit: QNA)
Sheikh Tamim waved to the crowd and leaned down to kiss the hand of his father, former ruler Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, who abdicated in 2013, making way for his son.
Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and King Abdullah II bin Hussein of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan attended the opening ceremony.
- Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
- Crown Prince and Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud
- Crown Prince of Dubai Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Maktoum
Read more: World Cup 2022: Qatar kicks off a new bright chapter in its history
Other leaders attended the inauguration ceremony:
- President of the Republic of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan
- President of the People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria Abdelmadjid Tebboune
- President of the State of Palestine Mahmoud Abbas
- President of the Republic of Senegal Macky Sall
- President of the Republic of Rwanda Paul Kagame
President of the Republic of Liberia George Weah
- Representative of the Emir of the State of Kuwait Crown Prince Sheikh Mishal Al Ahmad Al Jaber Al Sabah
- Crown Prince of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan Hussein bin Abdullah II
- Minister of Culture, Youth and Sports of the Sultanate of Oman and Representative of the Sultan of Oman Theyazin bin Haitham Al Said
- Vice President of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela Delcy Eloina Rodriguez
FIFA President Gianni Infantino
- Vice President of the Republic of Ecuador Alfredo Borrero
- Aid to the President of the Russian Federation Igor Levitin
- Vice President of the Republic of India Jagdeep Dhankhar
- Caretaker Prime Minister of the Republic of Lebanon Najib Mikati
- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres
- President of the International Olympic Committee Thomas Bach
Jungkook (Image credit: QNA)
The grand opening ceremony also saw international celebrities perform. The event started with American actor Morgan Freeman’s dulcet voice and an Arabian theme with camels.
The opening show also saw the performance of a new tournament song called ‘Dreamers’ featuring singer Jungkook of K-pop boy band BTS, alongside Qatari singer Fahad Al-Kubaisi